Pressure Cookers, add one to your list of kitchen essentials

Some people collect nicknacks, hats, pets, various kitchen gadgets (that's me), buttons, silver pins... you name it... but perhaps one of the most unusual collections I've heard of is one of pressure cookers. Yep, you guessed it, this of course is a cherished family member that has taken up this unique collection quest. Years ago my Daddy started collecting pressure cookers. I'm not quite sure when but given the collection numbers in the dozens it's been a while. He has pressure cookers that are over a century old of all materials, shapes and sizes. He even has one that looks like it could be used on the Space Shuttle... or perhaps a miniature model of a space craft.

I joke about this collection but years ago he gave me my fist semi-antique pressure cooker. I know what you are thinking... "I think my Grandma or Mom had one, aren't they dangerous, what exactly do they do, how do they work, and most importantly why would I possibly need one?" Let me tell you something, if you don't have one and haven't used one you don't know what you are missing!

So, let's anwer your questions:
a) Yes, your Mom or Grandma probably did have one
b) Regarding danger... as with all kitchen gadgets, knives, hot ovens, plugged in mixers... all are potentially dangerous if not used properly and with care. Yes the old (from pre 1960) had potential to be "dangerous" if not used properly but the new ones have the appropriate safety features built in.
c) What do they do.. well they use pressure and heat to cook frozen and thawed foods very fast while retaining moisture and flavor
d) Why do you need one... life is too short is the primary reason! Using a pressure cooker probably saves me an hour a week which in a year is over 2 days in the kitchen.

Throughout my blog I'll add some recipes and tips on using a pressure cooker to make your culinary life easier and take minutes to hours off of prep-cooking times.

If you don't have one yet, consider it.
Ask your Grandma, Mom what they think about how they simplified cooking.

If you have favorite pressure cooker recipes - share them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers